Making a good looking website with great content is one thing. But to really expand and open the flood gates for traffic, you need to analyze your website. It is very helpful to know about your audience. Knowledge about where they are from and what they are reading the most will provide you with sufficient data to formulate a strategy. These stats are unfortunately not inbuilt in WordPress. Nothing to worry though, there are many plugins which specialize in it. As it may be hard to fish out the best ones out of the huge 29,000+ number of plugins available in WordPress, here is a list of the top ten plugins which helps you analyze your WordPress blog.
Jetpack is the most popular plugin for analyzing. It definitely stands up to its name, it has over twenty modules using which you can manage every aspect of your blog. When it comes to analysis, it gives a detailed list of daily users, views on busiest day, summary tables, all time views, etc. Additional features include:
- It has light weight mobile themes available which can be customized very easily.
- Enhanced site performance as it speeds up the loading of images and videos.
- Your site couldn’t have been in safer hands. Features like Jetpack Monitor and Akismet are very powerful and also help in anti-spam.
- It provides tons of ways to style your website. Options include Infinite Scroll, Tiled Galleries, Sidebar Widgets and many more.
This plugin basically allows Google analytics to log in to your website. There are different types of widgets which show the data in your administrator page. It displays a graph showing the number of visitors on the previous dates, top referrers, top searches and a summary of the site usage. This plugin is used by over three million users and has a very good reputation. Other features are:
- It is easy to install.
- Supports site speed tracking.
- Supports download link tracking.
- Provides translations into Turkish, Polish, Dutch and Spanish.
- It can hide the Google UID drop down.
- It can track outbound links of all the links in your website.
This plugin has its own methodology of collecting, generating and providing you data about your blogs. There is an option to view all information in graphical format. It ensures a lot of privacy as it doesn’t depend on any other external support. Its main features are:
- Shows pages getting the highest number of visits.
- Tells you who is visiting your website right now.
- Lets you know how many people are online in your website now.
- Mails the entire statistics to your account.
- Has widget to provide information to your users.
- Interactive map of user location.
- Record statistics on exclusions.
- Comes with an informative support manual.
Advanced Blog Metrics
It is basically a plugin to benefit blogs with a lot of user interaction. It helps to get to know your readers more thus enabling you to improve your blog’s performance. Here are some of the parameters that this plugin tracks:
- Total number of comments on your blog.
- Average number of words per comment.
- 5 authors who comment the most.
- 5 posts which generate the most comments.
- Average number of comments per day.
- Average number of comments per post.
It also tells you when your posts generate the most number of comments and gives a list of five posts which generate maximum Facebook likes and shares.
WP Stats Dashboard
This is a plugin which focuses more on how the blog fares in social media. It provides blog traffic, social engagement and social influence to the administrator dashboard. It also provides your blog’s Alexa ranking and ratings in other sites. Additional features:
- Many widgets for dashboard.
- Tracks over fifty social metrics.
- Option to export all the social metric data to an excel file.
- Profile Finder.
- iGoogle gadget.
- Side bar widgets telling you total views, views per day, social profiles and top five authors.
Analytics 360 Plugin
Empowered by MailChimp, this plugin lets you pull Google analytics and MailChimp data into your dashboard, thus giving you the opportunity to use robust analytical tools without leaving WordPress. Main features:
- Gives an idea of overall site traffic trends and also shows how email campaigns are affecting the total traffic. There is a separate tab called “campaign traffic” which gives you isolated data coming from such campaigns.
- Charts the growth of your mailing list and also allows you to compare new and existing users. If you have multiple lists, you can also compare how each performs with respective to the rest.
- Top Referrers are shown.
WassUp Real Time Analytics
It is a very useful plugin for all the SEO pundits because it provides real time data about what your users are doing in your site. This plugin is not intended to provide any statistical information like views per day, visitors per month and so on. Instead it provides easily readable views of visitor data which is customizable according to visitor type, search keywords, time periods, etc. Additional features include:
- Current visitors online can be viewed.
- There is an Ajax spy view which lets know you geographical location of the users.
- It has two anti spam functions.
This is one of the best free plugins available for WordPress. It has a widget which fits into your sidebar automatically with the tracking code. It has a very simple interface. Even people who are just starting off with no real experience can still get the most out of it. This plugin is very popular and gets downloaded more than thousand times per month. These are the main features:
- Daily, weekly and monthly visits with page views.
- Maps indicating visitor location.
- Top pages which are linking to your blog.
- There is something called “click overlay” which shows you where on each page of your site users click.
- Top searches giving traffic to your blog.
- All top languages are supported.
- Most used browser, screen sizes and operating systems on your blog.
This is a pretty advanced plugin. It is a marquee product from a very old and experienced company StatsPress. It has the option to store and keep information about users and visitors. This feature makes it a standout plugin from most similar plugins. Other features include:
- It tracks the websites from which the user is coming from.
- Information about which crawlers are visiting and indexing your blog.
- Uses a complex database scheme which makes it faster than other similar plugins.
This popular plugin is compatible with Desktop WordPress and WordPress for iOS. It has enough features to completely fill your dashboard. It is configurable so that you only see the stats that you want. Other features are:
- Accurate browser and IP address detector.
- Available in multiple languages like Chinese, Italian, Japanese, German, Russian,etc.
- Compatible with other cache plugins like WP Super Cache.
- Provides email reports.
- Exports all data to excel files for storage.
- Has a World Map that works on any mobile device.